Report a Problem
At Thunder Bay Hydro, we understand that your electricity service is very important at all times. When we are working in your area, we will provide general notices to warn you of expected power outages.
Sometimes we do not have the ability to control the source of power interruptions. Storms, equipment failures and interference with our lines by animals and trees can be out of our control.
Power Outage Emergency
Electricity in its place can be managed safely. But power lines pack a powerful and deadly punch when they are out of place. Let us know if you see
- Power lines down
- A damaged hydro pole
- Sparks or Fires around power lines
- No electricity
When to call 911
If you see a power line down or a fire or sparks on local power lines, call 911 and ask for the Fire Department to attend.
When to call the Power Outage line
At any time of the day or night, please call directly to 343-1002 regarding power outages.
- You will be able to receive a message regarding the status of any current known major outages.
- You can report an outage in your area if no message has been provided.
- You will also be able to provide information about known causes of outages such as a tree on a power line in a hard to see area. Your help during storm event is valuable.
Electricity Customers outside the city of Thunder Bay are serviced by Hydro One.
If you haven't paid your electricity bill
Unpaid bills may be subject to the installation of limiters or the disconnection of service. Customer Service hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Phone: (807) 343-1111
Street Light problems in the city of Thunder Bay can be reported by calling the City at 684-2476.
Sometimes the source of power interruptions during storms is a direct result from interference with our lines by trees and animals. There are things you can do to limit that interference:
Consider how your yard may be attracting wildlife
Large birds and squirrels play a significant role in power interruptions each year. Backyard bird feeders and uncovered garbage containers attract wildlife to feed and establish their nesting grounds.
Consider squirrel resistant feeders
or hanging your bird feeder from a thin horizontal wire strung with
spinners to keep squirrels from climbing across the wire.
- Spinners may be a line of thread spools, short lengths of pipe or hose, or empty plastic soda bottles strung along the wire that will spin and keep squirrels from accessing the feeder.
When squirrels don't find a ready source of food, they may move on to another area.
This page last updated 2013-03-14.